vendredi 29 juillet 2011

hope for better future: Huynh Thi Ngoc Mai



Huynh Thi Ngoc Mai, a 21 year-old orphan, freshly graduated from Bien Hoa Nurse School, will take an internship in France. She explains what she expects from this experience.

“When I was a child my elder sister Cuc broke her wrist. She was in such pain, I really felt it. Then the nurse and doctor took good care of her and she was smiling again. I could never forget how these people treated my sister, I was really impressed. Since then I always wanted to become like them and I decided to become a nurse”, Huynh Thi Ngoc Mai recalls. Mai, a young and shy 21 year-old girl, is on the way to fulfill her dream. After graduating from the Bien Hoa Nurse School last March, she will go to France next September for a three-month internship. “I think I will learn lots of things in France. Techniques and material are far better there. What I like is hematology. There is a great chance I can practice in this field in France. Also, I want to learn more about patient care and pain management. In France, top-notch anesthetics techniques are applied. For various reasons, including cultural ones, pain is not well taken into account by the medical staff here. It is not a lack of material but much more a lack of information. Pain management is like a taboo. Neither the medical staff nor the patients talk about it. But in order to provide good care, pain should be recognised and treated”, Mai explains.

Mai lost her father when she was 8 year-old ; her mother could not take care of her and her sisters Cuc and Huong. For 12 years, she lived in Hoa Mai orphanage, in Long Thanh province, where French nurse students volunteer regularly. “We have around 130 French students volunteering every year in Hoa Mai orphanage. Mai started to learn some French words with them”, Olivier Rodien explains. Olivier, a French man from Montluçon, has been living in Vietnam for 16 years. He is the director and founder of Hoa Mai orphanage and IELF school on 220/22 Ho Van Hue street, dist. Phu Nhuan, a French language center where Mai perfected her French for the last 6 months, in preparation of her trip. “All staff and teachers, we are so proud of Mai. She is hard-working, motivated and brilliant, Olivier says showing Mai’s diploma. When she started lessons, she could barely speak French, lacked of self confidence to speak, she thought that it would be impossible to learn such a complicated French language! Immerged in a 100% French environment, intensive courses, communication classes and tests, and thanks to the support of Adeline and Pierre her teachers....she got it! Mai graduated intermediate level, with honour”.


Looking behind him at the dozens of certificates and official rewards given by the authorities for his contribution to the country and displayed in his office, Olivier remembers: “When I founded the IELF school, I did not know if I was doing things properly. With Mai, I can now see the results of our work. It is very rewarding. We will send more and more students and orphans in France for training in the future. The structure is slowly being put in place. It may be family size at the beginning but at least, we deliver!” Mai will indeed stay at Olivier’s home in Montluçon in France. “I know almost everyone there!”, Mai smiles. “I already know all three children of Mr Olivier. They went back and forth to Vietnam and we know each other since I was a child”. Olivier keeps everything simple. “This family atmosphere will alleviate the stress of being far from home, far from her friends, as it is the first time that she will travel out of the country. So she will be able to focus on her job and learning. She will work in a friend’s practice. Nursing is a difficult and stressful job but I am confident Mai will perform well in this job”.

A well organised girl, Mai has already plans for her future. After she is back from France, she will work as an interpreter at Hoa Mai orphanage. It will be her first paid job. “Then later, I will study more. I want to become a doctor”, she says. “I know that it will be difficult but Olivier has already told me that he would support me in my project. So I am very confident for my future.” Then looking at Olivier: “Thank you so much Daddy. I am really thankful for your help. Thank you to you and all the staff that always encourages and helps me when there are ups and downs. I hope I can repay you through my good work at Hoa Mai and I will make you proud”. Olivier replies without hesitation: “You already did!”