samedi 30 juillet 2011

Frankie's fashion


Vuong has been studying fashion design  for one year at the Raffles Institute on 117 Nguyen Van Troi, Phu Nhuan district. “I like drawing, fashion and design since I was a kid”, he says. “Three years ago, my friends got me to participate in a shooting for a teen magazine. Since then, I started buying original clothes, mixing and combining things to create my style”, he recalls. Young and vibrant, Vuong wears a creation of its own, a sleeveless gilet, which unveils the whole back. A gorgeous broche enlights the ensemble. “I love mixing things together, combining my own creations with things I can find on the market”, he smiles. “I designed the gilet I am wearing two years ago. Gilet was coming back at the time. I wanted to renew it and adapt it to the hot climate here. I took out the back and the front, which makes it look like a scarf. Then some friends helped me assemble it as I did not know how to sew back then !”

Vuong is just starting his second year but he already gained a lot of assurance. “I have learned to know my style, my strenghts and my weaknesses, I have a clearer direction when I design and assemble a piece together”, he analyses. “I am now more aware of all the aspects of creation - fabrics, sewing constrains . When I wear my own creation it feels great. I think it will be even better when in the near future, hopefully, I see my creations worn by people on the street !” he jokes. But don’t talk theory with Vuong as for him, fashion is a question of experience, self-expression and feeling. “I prefer actual creation and production rather than theory like in fashion merchandising classes”, he comments. “That is why I took this job at Ha Gattini. Five months ago, they posted a job at the school. I went to the interview not knowing what to expect really.” At the interview, the recruiter was impressed by what Vuong was wearing, a creation of its own once again. “They said I was dressed up beautifully and ready for the runway ! That is how I got the job I guess!” he laughs.

This working experience gave him a hint on what is the actual job of stylist and designer. “I work part-time as a stylist. I take care of the windows arrangement, I choose the style of clothes for fashion shows. Now I also give my ideas for the next collection. I love working with Ms Ngoc, the owner. We get along very well. Once we went to the market separately to buy fabrics and we ended up buying the same !” , he smiles. “After I graduate, I would like to work straight away. For me, you can improve in this job only through actual experience. So after I graduate, I would like to work as a designer, in casual wear”, he concludes.